What we do . . . . . . . . . . .
- Help other nonprofits to accomplish their mission.
- Find solutions to complex problems by identifying partners and coordinating actions across federal, state and local jurisdictions.
- Identifying resources and funding for projects, grant development, management and administration.
How do we do it?
- Identify unmet community needs.
- Assist with project development.
- Identify strategic partners and funding to accomplish the goal.
CAWACO is Community
We are dedicated to the conservation of the natural resources within our five-county geographic area. We proudly serve Blount, Chilton, Jefferson, Shelby, and Walker counties.
Cawaco receives funds from the Alabama Association of Resource Conservation & Development Councils to provide competitive grants to small towns and nonprofits that would likely not receive funding from major funders or agencies.
From creating a tool trailer that can be used across the region to supporting community revitalization through Your Town Alabama, we’re working to make our region stronger every day.
Cawaco works with partners like the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and Alabama Rivers & Streams Network (ARSN) to implement conservation practices that improve habitat and water resources for natural and economic benefits.
The Holle Foundation
Cawaco provides administrative support for the Holle Family Foundation. The Foundation is a grant making institution established in 2014 to honor the legacy of Brigadier General Everett Holle, a champion of servant leadership, and his parents, Evelyn and Fred Holle.
Recent News and Projects
On August 6, 2020, Cawaco RC&D received a grant from Reclaiming Appalachia Coalition to assist partners of the Alabama Rivers & Streams Network in developing capacity to prioritize and develop abandoned mine reclamation projects…
The USFWS has provided funding for student interns (2015-2023) to perform road crossing surveys. These surveys provide base information for habitat assessments and the SHU mapper. Students obtain hands-on experience, knowing that the data…
This project is a unique collaborative effort between Cawaco RC&D Council Environmental Programs, the City of Birmingham, a diverse, multidisciplinary team from University of Alabama at Birmingham, and numerous local non-profits in Jefferson County,…
Learn more about all our programs!
The Cawaco programmatic strategy is twofold:
1) Distribute grant funds to organizations whose goals align with ours and
2) Develop resources to address unmet community needs.