Cawaco RC&D provides administrative and project support to the Alabama Rivers and Streams Network. The Network is an informal group that shares information regarding:
- Shares information regarding threatened, endangered and at-risk species,
- Identifies cooperative opportunities for sampling or performing assessments, and
- Provides information regarding current and upcoming regulations and legislation.
Alabama Rivers and Streams Network is comprised of:
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Geological Survey of Alabama
- Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Alabama Department of Environmental Management
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Universities and Colleges
The US Fish and Wildlife Service contracted with Cawaco to host internships. Interns from the University of Alabama and University of West Alabama perform habitat surveys at stream road crossings. Learn more about the work performed by interns HERE.
Strategic Habitat Meeting
Each year, the Alabama Rivers and Streams Network come together to share information and set an area of focus for the upcoming year. It is held in conjunction with the yearly Mollusk/Crayfish meeting.
The 2018 SHU meeting was held February 14, 2018 at the Central Alabama Electric Cooperative in Prattville, Alabama.
Links to the presentations are below: